1. What is PEPMA?

PEPMA is a Proposal Evaluation and Proposal Management Application website (PEPMA). The California Investor Owned Utilities (IOUs) designed this website as a tool for energy efficiency management, and administrators to post, receive and evaluate: Request for proposal (RFP), request for information, (RFI), and request for qualification or quote (RFQ).

PEPMA allows users to download and/or upload as required all documents and notifications related to a bid and any other critical information connected with the bid request.

It is also a tool for individuals and organizations as potential IOU energy efficiency program bidders to login on-line and self-register their company information as well as self-qualify to receive invitations to bid any upcoming energy efficiency third-party implementer program work or program professional services support.

2. Why register on PEPMA?

By completing the PEPMA registration, IOUs may notify your company of opportunities to bid energy efficiency program third-party implementation work and direct your registered information to specific IOU program managers who may have bid opportunities.

To register on this PEPMA website simply go to the Home Page and click on the "GO" button or click on the word here where it says "Register here" in the Please Login or Register box located on the upper right side of the screen. Just complete the required information and a conformation email will automatically be sent to you. The system will not complete your registration until you "acknowledge" the conformation email.

3. What is an IOU?

An IOU is an Investor-Owned Utility (IOU).IOUs are private utility business or corporations rather than utilities operated by a government entity.The California IOUs are Southern California Edison (“SCE”), Pacific Gas & Electric (“PG&E”), San Diego Gas & Electric(“SDG&E”), and The Southern California Gas (“So Cal Gas or The Gas Company”).

4. Is there a difference between bidding energy efficiency work and other types of work, such as materials or services for the IOUs?

Yes, there is a difference. Energy efficiency bids are directly related energy efficiency (EE) programs directed by the California Public Utility Commission ("CPUC" or "Commission"). These programs either directly or indirectly result in Kilowatt-hour (kWh) energy savings and professional services are in support of managing these programs. IOU's EE departments do not bid materials and services outside of EE. IOU's bid material supply and services (e.g., construction, building maintenance, vehicle purchases) through the supply chain management services (SCM) also known as Procurement/Purchasing.

5. How do I bid materials and services for the IOUs?

To bid materials and services NOT directly related to energy efficiency (EE) contact the supply management (SM) procurement department of the specific IOU of interest by visiting these web site pages at:
Southern California Edison:
Pacific Gas and Electric
Sempra Utilities (San Diego Gas and Electric and The Gas Company

6. What is a professional service?

IOU energy efficiency (EE) management can request professional services on an as needed basis to renew or initiate a service to provide support for existing EE programs. IOUs may seek individuals or organizations with professional service expertise in areas such as technical consulting, engineering, marketing, auditing, website development, strategic planning, etc. It is important to note, anyone providing professional services to an IOU may not be able to provide third-party implementation program work.

7. What is a third-party implementer and who should bid?

A third-party implementer is an individual or more typically an organization qualified to provide energy efficiency program (EE) work as specified by the California Public Utilities Commission (“CPUC” or "Commission") in the EE Portfolios. Go to http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/energy/Energy+Efficiency/ for program information.

The third-party implementers provide specific measurable kWh energy savings based on IOU work papers and a Cost Effectiveness Tool (CET) to insure consistency in savings evaluations. It is important to note, to avoid a conflict of interest, an individual or organization providing third-party implementer services may not provide professional services support.

8. How do I become an authorized IOU vendor?

IOUs award all energy efficiency third-party work through competitive bidding. Most IOUs offer energy efficiency informational training classes from time to time, but they do not have an authorized vendor process.

An option that is available for vendor networking and customer viewing is to register your company with SCE's contractor referral program by visiting http://www.sce.com/contractor

9. How often do the IOUs bid third-party implementer work?

The process of bidding third-party work is dependent on the California Public Utilities Commission (“CPUC” or "Commission") Decisions. For the latest information on program funding cycles visit the CPUC website.

10. If it is between program cycles and third-party programs are not available to bid is there anything I can offer my customers to promote energy efficiency?

Yes, for example SCE provides incentive programs available to customers. Other IOUs may have similar programs. To understand SCE’s direct install rebate offerings review the Energy Management Solutions Procedures Manual that explains how to participate in SCE’s business offerings. This is the “rule book” for Calculated Incentives or Standard Performance Contracts (SPC), and Express Efficiency or “deemed” Programs.

Most all our information is available on the SCE web site Business Solutions

11. What is a DBE and what are the requirements to be recognized as a DBE?

A DBE is a Diverse Business Enterprise. It is defined by a business enterprise that is at least 51 percent owned by a minority individual or group (see classifications below); or in the case of a publicly owned business, at least 51 percent of the stock must be controlled by a minority individual or group. Owner(s) must be actively engaged in the management and daily operations of the firm.

Owner(s) must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien. Minority classifications include:

African American - Person(s) having origins in any black racial groups of Africa

Hispanic American - Person(s) of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, Caribbean, and other Spanish culture or origin

Native American - Person(s) having origin in any of the original peoples of North America or the Hawaiian Islands, in particular American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, and Native Hawaiians

Asian Pacific American - Person(s) having origins in Asia or the Indian subcontinent, including but not limited to Japan, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, Polynesia, Samoa, Guam the U.S Trust Territories of the Pacific, Northern Marianas, Laos, Cambodia, Taiwan, India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh

Other - Members are found to be disadvantaged by the Small Business Administration pursuant to Section 8(a) of the Small Business Act.

Women-Owned Business (WBE) A business enterprise that is at least 51% owned by a woman or women; or, in the case of any publicly owned business, at least 51% of the stock of which is owned by one or more women, and whose management and daily business operations are controlled by one or more women. Owner(s) must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien.

Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business (DVBE) Owner(s) must be veteran of the military, naval, or air service of the United States with a service-connected disability and must be a resident of the state of California.

SBA 8(a) Program Business (8(a)) A business enterprise that has met the basic requirements for admission to the 8(a) Business Development program. The basic requirements include being a small business which is unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.

12. How do I certify as a DBE?

  • Minority-owned or woman-owned business, contact The Supplier Clearinghouse at (800) 359-7998.
  • Minority-owned business, contact National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) at (212) 944-2430.
  • Woman-owned business, contact Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) at (202) 872-5505.
  • Disabled veteran-owned business (DVBE), contact California Procurement Division of Dept of General Services at (916) 375-4940.
  • Small business as part of the SBA 8(a) Business Development program, contact the Central Contractor Registration at (866) 606-8220.

For additional information email at: supplierdiversitydevelopment@sce.com or phone at (800) 275-4962 to ensure an expedient response.

13. What is a direct install program?

The Direct Install program has been in existence since 2005 in SCE, PG&E, SDG&E territories helping small business customers save energy. The direct install program (DI) is for qualified small businesses using less than 100kW monthly. The program is designed to help customers reduce energy costs and save money by providing energy efficient product installation at no cost to the customer.

There is a limited list of products (we call them measures) the contractors are contracted to install such as lighting upgrades, occupancy sensors, setback thermostats, strip curtains, vending misers and window film. For most customers these measures, once installed, offer a significant energy savings that lowers their overall cost of running their business.

14. What do I do if I register on PEPMA, but did not receive the "verification" email?

Your email your email service or computer may block the PEPMA automated email as a security to prevent phishing.

If this occurs, check your “spam” folder or “junk” mail folder to see if the PEPMA automated emails were blocked and diverted to these folders.

This is a common occurrence especially with @gmail accounts.

There is also a possibility you may have incorrectly entered your email address and the verification email cannot be sent.

If this occurs, go to the “Contact Us” tab at the top of the PEPMA home page and contact an IOU representative to verify you entered your email address correctly.

If you still do not see the automated conformation email you may need to adjust the security settings on your computer to accept emails from the PEPMA website.

15. If I register on PEPMA will I automatically receive notices of all bids?

No. You will only be notified of all "open" solicitations. Open solicitations generally refer to third-party programs. For notification of professional services work it would be necessary to visit the PEPMA home page and under the “Contracting” section view the bid you are interested in bidding and click on the “Interested in Bidding” link. Submitting a bid interest does not guarantee the bid opportunity will be made available, but does insure your company is listed for consideration by the program manager soliciting the bid.

16. I logged in to PEPMA and can not open the document link?

If you are able to login to PEPMA, but are unable to open the document link once you reach the first page I might suggest a few possibilities. First, in some cases web browsers can cause function issues as all web browsers are the same. Some web browsers have multiple versions, such as Internet Explorer each with its own idiosyncrasies. On most IE versions, usually there is a 'compatibility' button somewhere in the “tools” (Its location also varies with versions). Click that button and it will usually solve that problem or you could switch to another web browser such as Firefox. Next, I suggest deleting cookies. If you try these things and still experience an issue it might be a security setting issue on your computer. In your security settings you can add www.PEPMA-CA.com as a safe site.

17. Workpapers - How do I find the DEER website and locate current Workpapers?

Use the link preovided below. Once on the DEER site log in and go to the Non-DEER Work Paper Values 13-14 and click the link and at the bottom of the page that comes up see Southern California Edison (SCE) - workpapers.

Visit the Deer link provided here, DEER Resources website.

18. How do I update my PEPMA registered account information?

Login to your account and click on the “manage Account” tab in the top left header string then update any necessary fields.

19. My company has individuals who are no longer with our company, but may still have accounts registered on PEPMA. How do I have these accounts removed?

For those individuals who have left the company, provide names of those individuals, to the appropriate PEPMA IOU administrator (See the "Contact Us") and they can disable those old or unnecessary user accounts.

20. Is there information on how to access a bid?

Yes. Please see the "User Instructions PEPMA" posted in the Resources section of the PEPMA Home page.

21. Is there information available on how to post a bid proposal in PEPMA?

Yes. Please see the "User Instructions PEPMA" posted in the Resources section of the PEPMA Home page.

22. Do the IOUs use other websites besides PEPMA to solicit bids?

Yes. Although all the IOUs use PEPMA as a source to identify potential bidders for notifications of opportunities the actual bids may be posted on different websites. For example some IOUs use PowerAdvocate and SCE uses SAP/Ariba to post bids. It is recommended all potential bidders register on these websites.

The PowerAdvocate website can be found by visiting http://marketing.poweradvocate.com

and the SAP/Ariba website can be found at https://service.ariba.com

additionally, Ariba registration instructions can be found at www1.sce.com/wps/wcm/

23. What is SCE's Privacy Policy?

Information is available at: SCE privacy policy